7.06.2008

Organ vs Piano


This is the organ at the BYU Jerusalem center. It's amazing. I got to play it while I was there. The sound is amazing and it's truly a magnificent instrument.
.
To clarify . . . I am NOT an organ player per se. Truth be told - I started piano when I was 5 and stopped when I was in college - but the organ is a whole different beast! I feel at home and comfortable on the piano. I'm actually taking piano lessons this summer with the kids. I LOVE playing. It's the kind of connection where I can pour my heart into the keys of the piano. It heals my soul to play.
.
My grandma however did play the organ and showed me a couple things about the difference between the piano and the oragn when I was a teenager. That's about all the organ lessons I've had. If I had more time I'd take the free organ class through BYU. (someday!) When we moved to San Angelo they hadn't had a pianist or organist in a long time. I readily agreed to play the piano for sacrament meeting - but then they insisted I try the organ. Luckily they were so excited to sing to the organ - they didn't mind my rough spots. Although I did have that one Sunday when my foot hit the pedals during the Sacrament prayer . . . BRWAAAAAAAHHHH. I was so mortified.
.
Anyway . . . I'm the back up to the back up substitute every once in a while when our wonderfully talented for-real organist is out and heaven help our poor ward . . . I just never know what's going to come out - let alone HOW. Terrifying might cover it at times. It's a trick to keep up with the crowd, keep a steady beat, watch the conductor and remember to breathe. I'm not kidding. I recently realized I forget to breathe while I'm playing. Probably not a good thing considering brains need oxygen! hahaha!
.
There's this weird lag thing that happens when accompanying a large group. Even though you're playing the song they're singing - it's like you're a little bit off due to the sound. If you play with them it just gets slower and slower till you're past the point of a funeral dirge. And the volume pedal sticks - which is utterly hysterical when you just want to turn it up a little and it catches and goes to SUPER sound barrier breaking level loud!!! Oh what a mess I am! My greatest fear is that one of these days I'll pass out from fear and not breathing and I'll slide down onto the foot pedals in a crashing bass crescendo of loud tones of a dying goose. Truly a sacrament meeting that would not be forgotten. Anyhow - it's good for me. Keeps me humble! :o) hahaha! And honestly I don't mind playing if everyone can just forgive the possible jumbled mess that might happen to pop out.

2 leave me a note!:

Kristy said...

Mary! How come I have never seen this blog! I LOVE IT!!!! You are so fun to read...

TexasRed said...

Thanks Kristy! You are so fun to giggle with during primary! :o) I just finally compiled a bunch of stuff (minus the school stories - for student's privacy - so then I could make it public!) Hooray! It's so fun!

Labels