10.11.2008

Why our kids never come in our room . . .


The year was 2001.  My little Buddy was 3.  Poor kid . . . his life was about to be forever altered.

We were living in a rental house.  I was 22 months pregnant.  No joke.  Our neighbor had mentioned that an exterminator had been to their home for their mice problem.  Hearing that made my hair stand on end - which was actually quite a sight!  I remember mentioning the conversation to my Mom and she said - be careful - the mice will be looking for a place to go and head your way.  Tuck that thought into my never-resting brain - and it just combined into the perfect storm.

About 2 am my sweet baby boy came toddling into our room.  To this day I don't know why.  Perhaps a drink of water, maybe he couldn't sleep, or maybe a bad dream.  I hope not - because it was only about to get worse.  Much much worse!

I was asleep.  And so - to wake me up - he reached his sweet pudgy little hand up and tousled my hair.  Me in my ever foggy between-sleep-and-reality stupor combined with the recent memory of the mice conversation could only think that the worst had inevitably happened.  There was a mouse in my hair!!!!  

Now I ask you . . . if you thought there was a mouse in bed with you - in your hair no less - what would YOU do?!?!?!?!?!  I didn't know my sweet baby was standing there.  I didn't know it was him trying to wake his Mama.  So - I shot up in bed with blood curling screams that woke half of the city!!!!!!  There was some frantic flailing - you know - just to make sure I got the mouse far away in case it was still on me.  Only then did I wake up enough to notice my poor son - wide-eyed and trembling at the response he had elicited from this woman called Mom who was supposed to protect and soothe him - not recoil and scream.  

I'm sure we will pay for years of therapy down the road - which will all lead back to that one horrifying memory.  It has made a lasting impression on my children - which is why they never come into my room in the middle of the night - at least not without staying a safe far distance away from my side of the bed!  

PS - the picture is seriously creeping me out!!!!

0 leave me a note!:

Labels