9.07.2008

Back in the Swing!




Typically I don't post on this blog about school.  I can't share much because of confidentiality stuff but I did want to say that so far I'm having a good year!  Yea!  I have 8 students in the morning.  7 boys and 1 precious little girl!  The majority of my students have autism - although I also have student's with downs syndrome, mental retardation, cerebral palsy, and other (as of yet) non-diagnosed disabilities.  They are all non-verbal in my morning class.  They are also all 3 years old.  Two of them just barely turned three a few weeks ago.   Because of their age - we do A LOT of redirection and basic skills - but that's how they learn the routines and what it's like to be in school.  Sometimes the going is slow - but it's all good.

My afternoon class is a completely different mix.  It is SO FUN!!!!  I have 6 little boys.  They are all 4 years old and 4 out of the 6 have some verbal abilities in varying degrees.  In fact one of them I am (reluctantly - but still urgently) trying to move out of my class - as he is much too high cognitively - but it's been a real treat having him in there for a little while at least.  

I am starting with two aides this year!  Yea!  One of them speaks Spanish (hooray!) and the other one was with me last year too.  They are really great!  I enjoy working with them.  I am so lucky!  They both work really hard.  It was kind of tough for us to start back up and get going with a new year - but I think we've found our groove and are doing a-ok.  

I wish I could share all the cute melt-your-heart stories and the many small amazing accomplishments that are huge enormous moments for our class.  There are times when I'm convinced that winning the lottery wouldn't be as exciting as when one of them learns how to sip a straw after months of trying - or finally says a word, signs their first sign, walks up the steps by themselves, holds a spoon by themselves, or figures out how to balance and hold their cafeteria tray.  Such little things that just make it all worth it!  As challenging as it can be at times - the moments of accomplishment are monumental in comparison.

0 leave me a note!:

Labels