6.30.2008

April Fools!!!!! 2008

I have to say - this may have been one of my finer years! I started off with the old lame I-can't-think-of-a-better-joke-then-this Hey! It snowed out! ha. ha. ha. - just to throw them off. I could see the looks of disappointment - like - that's the best she's got this year? I knew they thought I'd forgotten!!!! Muwahahahaha! Never!!!! Thus falling even further into my masterful plan! Truth is - the hoax of the year had been in planning for several days and by many people.

I know this will come as a shock - but our children are rather opinonated people - particularly on social issues and current events. So . . . what better way then force them into one of their perceived unjust situations!!!! Year. Round. School. Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!! Oh the hilarity!

Since I now work for the school district - it was all too easy. One of the secreatries provided the letterhead, a clerk gave me the envelope. One teacher addressed the envelope - another one signed the offical signature. They couldn't wait to hear how it went down!

The letter follows below:

To the Parents of K and R,
Congratulations! Your children have been selected to participate in a trial program set up by the district as we consider the options of year-round school. As participants in this trial period we have hand selected students to begin the year round program at various schools. We feel that by attempting this program we can reduce overall operating costs of our schools thereby saving money for crucial programs for our children. In addition, studies have shown that the retention level of students is 73% higher when they participate in the year round program. This increases test scores in the districts that participate.

With an understanding of the program we are hoping you will be willing to participate. School will begin on June 16 at your home campus. school will begin at the standard Elementary time. July 25th will be the end of the 6-week grading period and then children will be given a week off with the next grading period beginning on August 4th.

Congratulations and welcome to the new program! We are excited to have you join us on this exciting educational journey. Sincerely, The Superintendent

Muwahahahahahahahahaha!!!!! I could hardly contain myself! And for this reason - I had to enlist Bob! He opened the mail slowly - appeared puzzled when he reached this letter and then casually asked the kids "Have y'all heard anything about year round school?" The looks on their faces were priceless! They slowly asked "Whhhhhyyyyyyy???????" (heh heh heh!) My stomach was shaking I was laughing so hard inside!!!! He handed them the letter and they began to read it. Their eyes got wider and wider! I thought of all the times they had loudly proclaimed their stance on the absurdities and injustice of year round school. Hahahah It was beautiful! B was first to begin "Congratulations!???? Congratulations!!!!?????? How in the world can he say congratulations about something like year round school!?!?!?!?! Like it's a good thing!!!!" At this point I have to turn my back and look away! K then chimes in "Improve our TAKS scores?!?!?! I made a 100 on my benchmark test! Why would I need to improve my TAKS test scores!!!!" Someone said "Well - I'm not going!" Bob calmly replied - "Oh yes you will - we will support the new program. We don't have any big summer plans anyway!" (Oh the beauty of a united front!) K then started shaking her head - threw her hands in the air - and started to walk out of the room muttering "Just shake your head and walk away . . . Just shake your head and walk away!" hahahahahahahahahahah! hohohohohoho! heeheeheeheeheehee! It was utter panic and chaos. At about the same moment B said "Hey wait - why does this envelope say Kooken on it?" I new in seconds the jig would be up - my kids were too smart to pass up such a glaring mistake! I yelled "Gotcha!!! April Fool's!!!!!!!!" Hahahahahahaha! The tradition lives on! If I could have videotaped it I would have. The looks of disbelief mixed with relief were priceless! Ahhhhh! Another year of success! They admitted they were a bit disappointed at my pathetic morning joke and yet completely taken in by the letter. I did not fail them this year! We laughed about it all night. I kept telling them we could do year-round anyway since they really seemed excited about it!

Last year we did legos and macaroni in their cereal boxes and I sewed their underwear in one big long line - so when they pulled one out of their drawer they all came out. One year was plastic fruit in their lunchboxes (with real food underneath). Another time we put the couch in the kitchen and the table in the family room - just to throw them off a bit. One year I put fake notes to their teachers in their notebook saying they loved homework and really wanted more. And one year - we tried to move them around into different beds after they were asleep - but they weren't sleeping hard enough. That would have been a good one too. Anyway - my policy is - nothing mean that would cause tears. Afterall - I'm wise enough to realize there will someday be paybacks. I was worried T would be distraught about year round school - so he remained our innocent bystander this time around. He did enjoy the green food colored milk suprise in our fridge. (Always a favorite standby at our house).

Hope your April Fool's was as enjoyable as ours! :o)

0 leave me a note!:

Labels