11.11.2008

The other reason . . .

(you should really go down two posts and read up from there . . . )

This one is just plain ugly.  It's taken me a month to calm myself about it.

If we hadn't already made the decision to pull the boys out - this would have instigated swift and immediate action.  

The last day they attended the charter school my Buddy was talking with his friends.  One of them asked him what church he went to - and when he replied - a teacher overheard and felt the need to comment.  Ok - comment is not the right word.  She decided to ATTACK!!!  A teacher - in a position of authority - in a publicly funded school.  Interesting isn't it?  She didn't just say she disagreed or thought we were wrong in our beliefs - she covered point by point every doctrine - every principle - every facet of our religion in a lengthy ugly tirade.  To a ten year old - at school - in front of his friends.  A meek quiet humble ten year old.

What she didn't count on is that he's a ten year old who lives by the Spirit.  Who reads his scriptures and says his prayers.  Who believes in a living prophet and the power of the Holy Ghost.  Who was silently praying for divine assistance.  Whose testimony was only strengthened by the things he heard.  A ten year old whose prayers for help were answered.  

The first I heard of what happened was the day I was stranded in north FW with a broken down car and Bob had flown in that day and then drove with the kids to rescue me.  While he was fixing my car - my Buddy was telling me what had happened.  As I listened the Mamma Bear in me began to well up and rage inside.  Given my red hair - it was not an unfamiliar look to my sweet son - and he mentioned that it was ok - I could calm down.  :o)  (There's nothing like a raging Mom stranded in the middle of who-knows-where raging and foaming at the mouth about "how dare they" "not my baby" and other assorted phrases and also something about marching in the school at 6pm on a Friday - long after they closed.)  (Ok - most of that was just what was going on in my head - not actually what was coming out of my mouth)  Anyway - as he continued his story I realized he was right.  He was ok.  He told me the things he said and what he was thinking and I was so impressed by my son.  I don't know if I would have had the same courage and presence of mind.  At first - I worried that how could he have possible been prepared for such a vigorous attack.  But I realized that every family night - every primary lesson - every testimony, sacrament talk, and scripture study contributed to that moment.  

Bless his heart.  He begged me not to go up to the school and say anything - and I haven't.  But perhaps someday I'll run into the director or principal and maybe they'll ask why we left.  I'd love to remind them of separation of church and state which prohibits publicly funded schools from promoting one religion over another.  Not to mention a person in a position of authority that a child respects should never abuse that trust.  Hmmmmm . . . it's taken wild horses and a promise to my son to keep me from marching through their door.  

In any case - he's none the worse for the wear.  It's just that protective side a Mom discovers she has when she hold a sweet baby in her arms and realizes she has a whole new purpose in life -- to care for and protect her children.  I'm just really proud of him and the quiet choices he's made in his life.  

2 leave me a note!:

Sherry said...

You probably didn't know it, but I've been reading your blog for a while--I'm so proud of Bobby, too. What a great job he did. I do talk about religion in my high school class, but never, ever would I criticize the beliefs of my students. That was totally unprofessional, inappropriate and just plain awful! I admire your ability to keep from going up there and whacking the teacher. Good job, Mom!

TexasRed said...

Hey Sherry!

Glad to see you here! :o) I'm a lurker on many blogs too!

You're such a great teacher -- the kind that students never forget. I only hope my kids get teachers like you at some point!

You crack me up! Whacking the teacher sounds plausible. ;o)

Labels