11.16.2008

Letter to the Mayor

(name and address is blocked out)


So I have these kids . . . and they are smart.  And opinionated.  (I have no idea where that part comes from!)

The old Braums - that holds many many family memories - has closed.  They have built a big brand new one almost directly across the street.  It's big and new and shiny!  And my sweet Cowboy T just sobbed and sobbed at the prospect of his old stomping ground being gone.  As we drove past (with heavy sobs from the backseat) he asked - "Do you think I could write a letter?"  Of course I say "Sure".  We're civically minded . . . you bet!  I thought that would pacify the hurt.  Which it did - temporarily.  About 30 minutes after we arrived home Cowboy T brought me the above letter.  Which is now in an envelope ready to be mailed.  I was so impressed!  What a smart kid!  Addressed to the mayor no less!

I should mention this is not the first unprompted letter writing that has occured in our family.  Kbugs wrote her favorite author Beverly Cleary one spontaneous day.  She actually got a sweet handwritten postcard back.  My Buddy emailed Troy Dungan (our former local weatherman) - and was so incredibly amazed when he got an email back!  That was an exciting day in our household.  He also wrote President Monson a letter shortly after he was called as President.  That reply came in the mail and is a treasured item to him.  

So you see - when it comes to letters - my kids need no prompting and have no fear!  I am so proud!  

1 leave me a note!:

Shannon said...

Aww! That is so cool, that he did it on his own, yet so sad too! We drive by there on the way to Nat's preschool and it is the saddest thing to see the old boarded up one, with the new bright and shiny one (with a flashing sign too) right across the street! :(

Labels