11.11.2008

Changing Schools (again)

Ok - here's the scoop with the boys and school!  Sorry - I kind of just threw out there that we switched them out of the charter school!  I'm known to be pretty random . . . hahaha!


They started out the school year "reviewing" and started with pretty easy academics.  As time went on - it didn't get harder and they weren't learning anything new.  We requested parent conferences - and never heard back.  So I spoke with the principal about the fact that my guys maybe needed a little more academically then what was being offered.  I got reassurances that never materialized.  You know its bad when your kids are begging to be challenged!  We gave them a fair shot to meet the boys needs - or even respond to our requests - but it became clear nothing was going to happen.

That was our main issue with the school - although there were many other smaller things too.  Typically we're pretty understanding that each place has its strengths and weaknesses - but academics isn't an area we were ok with overlooking for a whole year.  I think because they are still relatively new the school is still trying to figure out how everything is supposed to work.  And while I admire their zeal - I'm not willing to watch my kids fall behind to give the school room and time for growth. 

Decision prayed and made.

Last month when I went back to the school district to enroll them we learned that transfers were closed and so - it was with a great leap of faith that we enrolled them in their home campus - the very school that we'd been transferring them out of (ugh!)  Imagine by now the dread, guilt, worry, stress of all these decisions.  I felt terrible - but kids are resilient right?!?!?!  We put the whole thing in the Lord's hands and I think he had this mapped out all along.  

Over the summer I had worked with the vice principal at our local home campus that the kids are supposed to go to - so I went and spoke with her and let her know the boys were coming.  She and the entire staff has welcomed them warmly - the boys are so happy to be learning and working again!  (funny how kids really crave that - even if they'd never say it!)  Within the first week of school there was an incident after school where a 6th grader hurt Cowboy T - but the kid was suspended for two days and now the boys get to wait in the office after school everyday - which they are ok with - and we are too.  The staff is quite protective of them and are willing to let the boys stay in the office until I can get there after dismissing my students.  I'm just down the street - so it's worked out great.  No more after school program!  Yea!!!  Bonus!

Come to find out - the teachers they have are great and they really like the boys.  The boys are doing well - and after that one instance - no one has bothered either of them since.  Thank goodness.  They are more focused on academics then they have been in a long time.  We'll get through this year - and take the next one as it comes.  It's been an interesting path - but one that clearly had its own purpose.  Every one of us has come away with important lessons - and I'm sure we'll continue to see reasons and learning experiences from the whole process.  

0 leave me a note!:

Labels