1.18.2009

Don't tell me not to call the police . . .


Well let's see . . . I had a faculty mtg after school on Tuesday.  I left early so I could get the boys.  As I was passing the Central Library in the left lane - a lady from the CENTER lane decided to turn left into the library.  I could see it coming and sped up as fast as I could - but she still clipped the back side of my car.  So we both pulled over.  Here's the kicker . . . she gets out of the car and starts screaming at me!!!!!  I was thinking - you've got to be kidding me.  

Then her passenger gets out - a drunk older man - and he starts screaming too.  They were saying - Don't call the cops - you better not call the cops.  (ummm Red Flag!)  The man told me it was all the lady's fault and that she was lying - and the lady said he was drunk and had been drinking all day.  I really didn't know what to do.  I've never had a wreck before - other than my solo-hydroplaning-total-the-car wreck.  So I checked the damage - it was so minimal.  The paint was a little scratched - but I know how to buff that out.  In any other case I would have said don't worry about it - I have better things to do and moved on.  But the screaming and the telling me not to call - and then the insurance card they handed me that had expired in 2007 really sealed the deal.  So I called 911.

I was inside my car when I called and I explained the situation.  The operator heard the guy yelling - 'You better not call the police.  They'll be really angry with you for calling over such a minor thing!'  The operator heard it and quickly surmised the situation.  She told me to stay in the car because she was worried about me being safe.  The police came immediately and then I waited while they looked everything up and stuff.  I think by then the entire faculty meeting had let out and drove past the whole thing.  They all thought I was getting a ticket!  :o)  Anyway - by the time they told me I could leave there were multiple police cars there and it looked like not only would they be towed for no insurance - but I'm guessing maybe some warrants out or something like that.  

It took so long that I called my father-in-law to pick up the boys because I knew he would be close by to get them.  I think I owe the school secretaries some chocolate . . . they were so kind to the boys.  It wasn't exactly how I planned the afternoon to go - but I'm grateful it happened in a nice big public place in the daylight and that it wasn't a big deal for the car or me.  Phewph!  

2 leave me a note!:

Jenny said...

Ooooo, that's scary! Hope everything turned out okay.

Sherry said...

What a bizarre incident--glad you're all safe and sound......

Labels