9.23.2011

The Sky is Falling!!! The Sky is Falling!!!


I haven't posted in a while but the following article has forced me to speak again!  ;o)


Huge Defunct Satellite Falling to Earth Faster Than Expected, NASA Says


Normally these types of things of which I will speak are muttered under my breath or spoken in incredulous tones to my husband (bless his heart) ..... but this article ..... this article alone has risen to a new level that has caused me to go public with my impatience and abject incredulity of the state of today's something or other. (I'm not sure what - but whatever it is .... it highly rankles me!)


I know....I know.....there are far bigger things to worry about - but let me just cite a few observations.


First the title:  Huge Defunct Satellite Falling to Earth Faster Than Expected, NASA Says.


Hmmmmm - so they built a satellite but can't calculate it's fall. Ok.  That would be hard. I can't remember how to calculate fractions into percentages or percentages into fractions - so it's ok.  I give them that.


Ok.  Next, I quote: "NASA space junk experts have refined the forecast for the anticipated death plunge of a giant satellite, with the U.S. space agency now predicting the 6 1/2-ton climate probe will plummet to Earth around Sept. 23, a day earlier than previously reported."


Ummmmm...DEATH PLUNGE!?!?!?!?!?!?!?  Is it just me or does that sound disturbing.  Impressive description coupled with the words 6 1/2 tons and then a casual "day earlier".  I was kinda thinking they'd be calculating milliseconds - not days or so.  I mean I can predict I'll have a baby on say a Wednesday give or take a day or two!


Next: "But exactly where the UARS spacecraft will fall is still unknown.

NASA expects at least 26 large pieces of the massive satellite to survive the scorching temperatures of re-entry and reach Earth's surface. Titanium pieces and onboard tanks could be among that debris....."

Waaaaiiiiittttttttt.............WHUUUUUUUUUUUUH?????????????  26 LARGE PIECES?!?!?!? Don't know where?  Aren't those tanks pretty big?  This doesn't sound so good guys.

"The debris is expected to fall over a swath of Earth about 500 miles."  Ok - so we're not talkin it's gonna fall in a lake or field or something.  Roughly a "swath" from Sherman, TX to Clarinda, Iowa.  Mmmmhmmmm.

"There is a 1-in-3,200 chance of satellite debris hitting a person on the ground, odds that NASA says are extremely remote. Outside experts agree."  1 in 3,200!?!?!?!?  How many people live between Sherman and Clarinda?!?!?!?  I would feel so much better if they'd say one in 50 million!  SO much better!!!!  Ugh.

And my favorite: ""Look at how much of Earth is covered with water," Victoria Samson, the Washington Office Director of the Secure World Foundation, an organization dedicated to the peaceful use of outer space, told SPACE.com this week. "There's a really good chance it's going to go straight into the ocean."   And .............. a REALLY good chance it's not!!!!!!!

"NASA officials expect the UARS satellite to fall over a region somewhere between the latitudes of northern Canada and southern South America"  Ohhhhhh!  That narrows it down! ;o)

"NASA.......[is] keeping a close watch on the falling satellite, but will only be able to pinpoint its actual crash zone to within about 6,000 miles (10,000 km) about two hours before re-entry."   Ok - I don't even know what to say at this point.  Give or take 6000 miles with roughly two hours warning w a 500 mile swath give or take a day or two?  I'm beginning to wonder if my son's 5th grade class could make a better prediction or calculation than that.  I mean there are some smart cookies in there and they even have to show their work to prove their problems!!!

And finally: "NASA has advised the public not to touch any debris that may reach the surface, should it be discovered. Instead, the space agency says that anyone who finds satellite debris should contact their local law enforcement agency."   How about NASA advises the debris  not to touch any of the public!?!?!?  I'd prefer that.  And I'm guessing if any of it does touch us we will likely pretty much be unable to call our local law enforcement agency.

So on the off chance I'm in the 500 mile swath of the 6 1/2 ton climate probe with two hours warning give or take 6000 miles - just know I'm happy, peaceful, content, no regrets and I have spoken my piece......."  :o)  

I feel so much better now that I have that off my chest!  

Sweet dreams to all ...... of twinkling stars .....(not flaming satellite pieces!)  HAHAHA!  Goodnight!

0 leave me a note!:

Labels